Helping You Resolve Land Use, Zoning & Planning Law Issues
Jones Steves Grassi LLP is the preeminent choice for clients who must navigate the zoning approval processes at the municipal, county and state level. Very few firms have the specialized skills we have developed over 40 years of work in land use development.
We have represented some of the largest and most important projects in Saratoga County and the counties that surround it, even as the growth in these counties has generated increasingly complex levels of municipal regulation.
Our client list has included Fortune 500 companies, banks, hospitals, and many of Saratoga County’s largest contractors and builders. Jones Steves Grassi LLP has, for many years, represented the two largest employers in Saratoga County.
Site Plans, Subdivisions, Variances, and Special Use Permits
While we have represented clients for some of the largest projects in upstate New York, we have always
recognized the need for representation in land use matters for small businesses and homeowners. Our
lawyers are frequently before land use boards for basic regulatory relief on applications to planning
boards for site plan approvals, subdivisions, and special use permits as well as variance applications and
interpretations before zoning boards of appeal. Our first appearance in these areas was more than 40
years ago and these applications have served as the bread and butter of our practice over the years.
Success with Major Saratoga County Projects
The broad scope of our experience includes the representation of clients before area zoning and planning boards, architectural review boards, Industrial Development Agencies (IDAs), as well as water and sewer authorities. These substantial commercial and industrial projects include office buildings, hotels, shopping centers, conference centers, apartment complexes, workforce housing projects, residential/commercial subdivisions, as well as planned unit developments including the GlobalFoundries’ computer chip fab in Malta, New York.
Jones Steves Grassi LLP regularly provides service to development clients in all aspects of land use and zoning matters including:
- Securing Planning Board and Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) approvals including Special Use Permits, Site Plan Review, Area and Use Variances.
- Residential/Commercial Subdivision Approval
- Lot Line Adjustments/Boundary Line Agreements
- Minor Subdivisions (less than five lots)
- Major Subdivisions
- Conventional Subdivisions
- Cluster Subdivisions
- Conservation Subdivisions
- Providing clients comprehensive guidance for compliance with the State Environmental Quality Review Act (SEQRA). Jones Steves Grassi LLP artfully navigates clients through the phases of the SEQRA process, from preparation of environmental assessment forms through issuance of negative and positive declarations through the drafting and review of environmental impact statements. Should a challenge arise to a SEQRA determination, Jones Steves Grassi LLP has the necessary experience and track record to defend the SEQRA resolutions issued by the lead agencies.
- Assisting clients in dealing with regulatory requirements such as local and state historic preservation regulations and reviews by state agencies such as the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation and New York State Historic Preservation Office.
- Preparation of legislative changes to master plans, comprehensive plans and drafting local statutes to ensure project compliance with local laws and other desired changes in local regulation, including adoption of Planned Unit Development (PUD) or Planned Development District (PDD) local laws.
- Siting and approval for alternative energy facilities such as wind and solar farms together with traditional utilities and telecommunication facilities.